What Is Vision Mapping?



In order to live a life full of purpose and to live a life on purpose, vision mapping is an effective way to stay focused. Without a vision, there is no direction on which to live life. Without vision, there is no purpose.
Where there is no vision, the people perish - Proverbs 29:18
So when it comes to having a vision. A map is needed in order to accomplish the vision. This is called vision mapping. I learned the concept of vision mapping from Steven K. Scott's book, The Richest Man Who Ever Lived. It gives a breakdown of vision mapping and it gives steps on how to write out a vision map.
Write the vision and make it plain on tablets, That he may run who reads it. For the vision is yet for an appointed time; But at the end it will speak, and it will not lie. - Habakkuk 2:2-3
What is vision mapping?
Vision mapping is writing a clear and specific vision with a detailed road map to achieving the vision. It is very similar to goal setting. This can help people accomplish their dreams and actually develop a plan on how to accomplish those dreams.
How to do vision mapping
First step: Write a clear and precise description of the vision
In vision mapping, it is important to write the vision very clearly. Make it as descriptive as possible. You can describe what you are wearing in this vision. The time and day. Who is with you in this vision. What is your location when this vision is being fulfilled? Basically, make it as vivid as possible. This is when you need to become a kid again and use your imagination. Here is an example:
I, Janarian Donte' Foster, am sitting in my apartment in Greensboro, NC. I am sitting in the living room on the sofa. I can feel the breeze hitting my face from the central air conditioning. I can hear the dogs outside barking. The date is now September 13, 2013. It is 3:00 PM and it is a sunny day outside. The TV is on and I can hear ESPN SportsCenter playing on TV. I have my laptop in my lap and I am logging into Expedia.com and I have just processed my order for two airline tickets to fly to Orlando, FL on October 24, 2013. I am now smiling and rejoicing. I can't believe how easy it was to book a flight to Orlando. I can't believe how easy it was. This is how I did it:
So you just have to be very detailed about your vision and make it real!
Second step: Do goal setting for the vision
In this step in vision mapping, you need to make a list of the goals that you need to meet in order to achieve your dream.
Third step: Turn the goals into steps
Take the goals you have set and break it down into steps that are going to be needed to achieve the goals.
Fourth step: Turn the steps into tasks
Separate the steps into daily tasks that are needed to complete the steps.
Fifth step: Set deadlines
In vision mapping, you need to keep yourself accountable. You need to set a deadline or completion date on each step and task that is needed in order to achieve your goals. This is so you can do things one step at a time until everything is achieved.
Final Thoughts
This exercise can be helpful to all of you dreamers out there. This will help you to turn your dream into a reality. This will also show you that you don't have to be sleep to dream. Stay focused and go after your dreams!

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More